Are you concerned about the sharp pain in your gut? Do you anticipate that you may have a serious underlying condition? Then this article is important. Give this a read before you make a self-conclusion. Stomach cramps aren’t associated with any particular condition. Hence, it is hard to point fingers at a cause without making a formal diagnosis. The pain in the abdomen can be related to the group of organs in your abdomen, such as your appendix, kidneys, spleens and digestive organs. It is the body’s natural response to project pain when the affected area is inflamed or infected. But do not be highly judgmental on the pain factor alone. The intensity of the pain is never a direct indication of the severity of the reason. Both men and women experience tummy cramps in their lifetime for identical reasons and for those that are exclusive to fairer sex. You can experience discomfort and pain when you have eaten improperly processed food or if the digestive system isn’t functioning well. Also, women can experience cramps when they are in their menstrual cycle. Although active lifestyle and exercise can help you deal with the pain, sometimes it becomes a necessity to seek medical attention. Especially, if the pain is caused by Colon Cancer.
Here is the list of reasons and also how to get rid of stomach cramps.
Heartburn And Indigestion
Indigestion occurs when you have undigested food in the stomach that causes a sensation of fullness and often makes the person feel bloated.
Heartburn is a standalone condition or a result of indigestion. When you experience heartburn, you will have pain and inflammation in the solar plexus (In the middle of your ribs). It occurs when the stomach acids with partially digested food are brought back via the channels of the digestive system to the esophagus.
Managing your lifestyle is sufficient to prevent the heartburn and indigestion. Editing your lifestyle can go a long way from having to deal with the condition medically.
- Limit the consumption of alcohol and caffeine substances.
- Greasy foods and stomach do not go hand in hand. Avoid heavy food that burdens your digestive system to process them.
- Manage your meal timing efficiently by eating frequent mini meals. Dividing meals into small package allows the stomach recover from the energy it exerts to digest them.
- The best way to avoid heartburn in the night is to rest your torso at an inclined angle.
- Do not eat the meal (small or big) when you are preparing for the bedtime. Also, do not rush to finish your meal. Eat your food slowly, packing the stomach gently. It will allow you time to know if you are full or are willing to eat more.
- Stress is one of many prominent factors for stomach ailments; it will make your digestive system perform in a weak manner.
- Exercise is the solution to deal with the cramps. You can not only keep yourself distracted, but also makes the stomach digest food efficiently.
- Detest yourself from the smoking habit. It isn’t beneficial to health in any manner and will make the matters worse.
- Lose some pounds if you are overweight, it puts less stress on your digestive system.
- Do not take NSAID drugs like aspirin on an empty stomach. Have them after a meal.
- Take antacids if you have heartburn. It will regulate the acid in your stomach and will immediately relieve you from the influx of stomach acids.
- But excess consumption of antacids can be bad as they can cause constipation and diarrhea. So consult your doctor or pharmacist for the best brand.
There are home remedies that you can bank upon to relieve you from the cramps.
You can make an herbal tea with this super herb, and if used in combination with lemon and ginger, it can do wonders in healing your upset tummy. It removes toxins and reduces inflammation in the stomach.
Having existed since ages, it is one of the best herbs that are ideal for dealing with stomach cramps. It streamlines the bowel movement and clearing the pressure points in the digestive tracts. This herb has menthol, which soothes the digestive tracts due to antispasmodic effect. It also has other perks, such as to maintain fresh breath.
It is another herb that is good healing property that is used to clear the cramps and heartburns. The chemical properties of this herb exhibit anti-inflammatory qualities that will reduce the bloating. But, it does increase the blood pressure when consumed in large quantity.
When heavy food is being digested, it is likely to release the gas that accumulates in the colon and stomach cavities. When the pressure builds, it causes the muscles to stretch and causing pain in the abdomen. This pain is the result of gas build up; you can also experience feeling full, bloated and the temptation to pass the gas. Frequent belching and burping are also an indication of gas buildup.
- Avoid eating fat-rich and gassy food.
- Tank yourself with sufficient water to keep you hydrated. Avoid carbonated and caffeinated drinks.
- Eat slowly to prevent swallowing the air.
- Get tested to know if you are intolerant or allergic to a particular type of food like milk and other dairy products. People who are lactose intolerant often complain having cramps and stomach pain.
- There are some over the counter digestion-aiding capsules that help you relieve the pressure in the stomach by belching.
Menstrual cramps car experienced by women, and it occurs before and during the phase of periods. The pain will diminish on its own after the periods and will last only a short duration. But, do not ignore if you experience pain in a greater frequency, as it may point to serious conditions such as endometriosis and uterine fibroids.
You can control the pain if not eliminate it during the periods by managing your lifestyle.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol and tobacco products.
- Having the vitamin supplements can reduce the intensity of the pain. You can have vitamin E, omeg-3 fatty acids and magnesium supplements.
- You can take Ibuprofen in controlled quantity or as per the physician’s advice. Remember, it does not suppress the pain altogether, but reduces the intensity and makes the menstrual pain more predictable. (P.S. If the pain is intense then consult your physician)
- Herbs such as fennel is known to help ease the pains associated with menstrual cramps. Also, acupuncture is a famous method of controlling the pain.